The Board of Trustees comprises 18 individuals nominated by The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust and Cancer Research UK; individuals co-opted by the Board of Trustees itself and one member elected by the Academic Board, together with ex officio members (the Chief Executive and the Academic Dean) and a student nominee.
The Board of Trustees carries the overall responsibility for ensuring that the ICR pursues its charitable objects, complies with its own constitution and relevant legislation and regulations, applies its resources exclusively to its objects, and enacts cancer research of the highest international standard.
The Board of Trustees determines the ICR's strategies; approves its scientific and financial plans, annual report and accounts and governance structure, makes key appointments (Chief Executive, Academic Dean, Chief Operating Officer) and monitors the ICR's strategic performance. It also approves new initiatives and non-recurrent expenditure costing £1 million or more.
To facilitate the smooth running of the ICR, the Board of Trustees has established a number of sub-committees. The terms of reference for each committee have been approved by the Board of Trustees.
- Mr Luke Johnson MA(Hons) – Chair
- Dr Brendan O'Neill PhD – Deputy Chair and Honorary Treasurer
- Professor Paul Workman FRS FMedSci – Chief Executive and President
- Professor Clare Isacke DPhil – Academic Dean
- Mr William Burns BA(Hons)
- Ms Ashley D'Aquino
- Professor Nandita deSouza MD FRCR
- Mrs Mandy Donald
- Dr Iain Foulkes PhD
- Mr Charles Geffen
- Mrs Jane Hamilton BCom FRICS
- Mr Jeremy Hill
- Professor Tim Maughan
- Miss Cally A Palmer CBE MSc MIHM DipHSM
- Dr Liz Bishop (Alternate Director)